Oct 2017 Job Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust Programs Manager Kenya
Oct 2017 Current Recruitment Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust Programs Manager Kenya
Oct 2017 Career Employment Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust Programs Manager Kenya
We are hiring a Programs Manager! About Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust: Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust (RWMT) is a charitable organization that works to empower communities to create positive change in a rural area of Siaya County in Western Kenya.
Nearly 60% of the population in this area live below the poverty line and only 18% of the population have finished high school. RWMT lies in the center of Rarieda sub-County and serves over 30,000 people.
We dream of people believing in themselves and working together to build a vibrant and progressive community.
To achieve this, we run community programs under RWMT and offer vocational trainings at Rarieda Training & Resource Centre (RTRC).
Our team of 55 currently engages nearly 3,000 orphans and vulnerable children and their families with impressive outcomes across health, education, economic empowerment and human right advocacy.
Currently, 200 students are being equipped with vocational and life skills, which otherwise would not be accessible to them.
To grow our reach and impact, we are now working with Community Based Organisations (CBOs) across Siaya county, driving up revenues through our various income-generating activities, streamlining our operations and programs, and aim to enrol up to 300 youth annually for vocational training.
About the Role: The Programs Manager will provide leadership and support to staff and grass root organizations to implement high-quality, holistic, and multi-dimensional community empowerment programs centered around the orphaned child/youth.
You will lead the programs team of around 25 and 100+ community volunteers to increase the impact of our work in the communities we serve.
Under your lead, RWMT will influence other NGOs’ and CBOs’ approach to programs, community engagement and outcomes; and advocate for county policy change.
We are looking for someone who is driven and committed to make a positive and impactful difference in people’s lives.
Your responsibilities will include:
Oversee all programs and grants
- Align and track all programmatic activities in Health, Education, Economic Empowerment and Advocacy & Children Rights carried out by the project teams and community volunteers through close collaboration with the program coordinators and M&E team; continually facilitating cross-programmatic learning and program quality.
- Oversee satellite programs and sub-grantees across Siaya County. Provide guidance to coordinators on managing these relationships and programs effectively.
- Ensure all aspects of RWMT projects are carried out to completion, work with the team to anticipate and handle any challenges faced in the programs.
- Develop the programs’ team skills in project management, including scheduling and timeline management, budget tracking and resource planning.
- Assure mainstreaming of participatory processes and community-driven approaches through mentoring, coaching and other activities.
- Keep staff morale high and help the team cope with the emotional challenges of the job.
- Handle reporting and/or provide relevant input for various grants and donors.
- In collaboration with Finance Manager ensure good financial oversight on all projects.
- Cultivate a positive work environment where staff are happy and enjoy coming to work each day.
Drive program strategy and evidence based decision making
- Further refine our theory of change and alignment to our 20+ projects and programs under it, driving interrelated, holistic and evidence-based decision making.
- Review, condense and consolidate existing programs to identify core programmatic models that are ready for advocacy, scale-up and replication.
- Closely work with the M&E Manager to develop a culture of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) in the Programs team.
Collaborate with Team Members to develop new opportunities
- Stay updated with development trends and key issues in Siaya and the region at large. Identify and monitor new, ongoing, and potential programs in the region and propose how RWMT can play a key role in moving the development space forward.
- Contribute to build and nurture all partner relationships and donor engagement for quality programming and expansion.
- Build relationships with all relevant government functions, enabling us to advocate and influence their work and the policy framework.
- Conceptualize and budget for new initiatives, be it RWMT programs, sub-granting or other.
- Work closely with the Resource Mobilization team to assist in grant writing and collaborate on fundraising. Streamline program processes and procedures to improve coordination for the applications of funds.
Who we are looking for:
- You have a strong passion for and solid experience and insight in children’s and youth program design and management principles.
- You believe in the contribution that empowered children and youth can have on community development, and have an understanding how to navigate culture, rural challenges and development trends. Experience with OVC psycho-social support needs and HIV/AIDS programs is desirable.
- You put the community first, show resilience in the face of challenges and know how to support your team through the tough moments of community work.
- You have skills in participatory methods and facilitation, enjoy collaborative relationships with teams and external stakeholders.
- You have thorough understanding and strong skills in all aspects of project management. At least 3-5 years of supervisory experience in project management; ability to develop and lead both small and medium size multi-sectoral program teams.
- You have the skills and experience required to implement projects with a total budget upwards of 750,000 USD.
- You have strong experience in donor reporting, grant management and reporting cycles, esp. handling multiple parallel grants. You have experience in managing sub-grantees or a project with multiple sites
- You are very grounded in development work and trends, understand evolving industry standards and have strong interest in evidence-based practices
- You have been involved in writing winning proposals. You understand realities of projects and grants at the grassroots as well as iNGO level. Experience with grants from USAID, DFID etc is ideal and existing networks welcome.
You have the right fit with our culture if:
- You are compassionate and deeply care about children, youth and rural development.
- You value transparency and encourage accountability in all aspects of your life.
- You pride yourself on being flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances.
- You are humble and comfortable in varying social and professional settings, alternating between interacting with rural community members, and high-level stakeholder meetings with institutional representatives.
- You value being part of a team that aims to set new industry standards.
Why work with us?
- While our work with communities is very challenging, it is also very rewarding – you see lives changing before your eyes!
- You will be part of growing our impact with some exciting networks and partnerships that we have built over the past 15 years.
- We are on the journey to becoming a role model development organization and will in the process support many other CBOs and NGOs.
- We are a committed team and we care about each other.
- You will be living and working in a beautiful, calm and clean environment, with fresh air and close to Lake Victoria.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The role is based in our main office in a rural village in Rarieda, Siaya County. We are about 20 km from the nearest town (Bondo) where some of our team members live.
Due to the nature of work additional hours may be required. At times, program activities extend into the weekend and may require your participation.
We are looking for candidates who are excited about living and working in a rural setup for a minimum of 3-5 years. There is a six month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
Want to apply?
- First, please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Fill out the application form under http://bit.ly/RafikiPrograms
- Send your CV in PDF format to email@example.com with the subject line “Programs Manager Rafiki”. Please ensure it is tailored to this role and no more than 3 pages.
Website: http://www.rafikiwamaendeleo.org/Selection process in collaboration with edge recruitment