Counselling Psychologist Intern at HIAS Refugee Trust of Kenya 2020
Career Kenya: Counselling Psychologist Intern at HIAS Refugee Trust of Kenya 2020
Employment vacancy : Today Recruitment Kenya
Location: HIAS Refugee Trust of Kenya (HRTK) – Kenya Office
Vacancy Advertisement – Kenyans Only
Job title: Counselling Psychologist Intern
Department: Mental Health and Psychosocial Department
Duration: 6 Months
Reporting to: Counselling Psychologist
HIAS is an international nonprofit organization with a vision for a world in which refugees, displaced persons and asylum seekers find welcome, safety and freedom. HIAS operation in Kenya was established in 2002 with the mission to serve the most vulnerable refugees through protection, resilience, economic inclusion and provision of durable solutions.
Organizationally, HIAS is guided by its Refugee Rights Framework. This rights-based approach, based on international human rights, humanitarian and refugee law and practice, provides a programming framework for HIAS’ focus on refugee protection. This framework prioritizes programming impact that ensures forcibly displaced people realize their potential and become contributors to society, with this impact being achieved through the realization of legal and civil rights and social and economic rights including through 1) the right to protection from harm, violence and discrimination, 2) the right to recovery from the shock of displacement, and 3) the right to economic self-sufficiency and inclusion.
HIAS is seeking to recruit a Counselling Psychologist intern who will assist in the provision of counseling and other psychotherapeutic interventions to vulnerable and at risk refugee clients in emotional and psychological distress including those with mental health challenges impairing their normal functioning.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in provision of individual and group counseling services and other short term therapeutic services to refugees referred to the field office and keep continuous counseling notes
- Assist in conducting psychological assessments and Mental Status Examinations and prepare and submit the reports to the Counselling Psychologist
- Ensure appropriate psychosocial assessment and diagnosis of all the psychological cases are in line with the DSM-V and ICD-10, WHO Mental Health Atlas among others
- Participate in counseling treatment programs and ensure the provision of technical assistance and training for clinical staff in order to establish and maintain appropriate treatment protocols resulting in the increase of the recovery of clients in line with national and international standards and guiding principles by UNHCR, IASC, SPHERE Project WHO among others
- Assist in assessments for provision of social assistance (FA, food, transport, clothes and other material assistance) and ensure adherence to finance SOPs
- Assist protection officers in organizing and mobilizing for committee meetings, dialogues and other activities.
- Ensure timely, quality and comprehensive reports for official work done
- Applicants to have recently completed University degree in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology from a recognized university
Skills and Competencies
- Experience in trauma counselling
- Knowledge of Computer Applications such as Ms-ACCESS, Ms-EXCEL and Ms-WORD
- Ideal candidate should have a keen awareness and a good knowledge of psychosocial issues and the complexities of working on these issues
- Strong analytical and report writing skills and proven ability to conduct psychological assessments
- Have group facilitation skills and experience
- Good team player with excellent cross-cultural interpersonal skills
- Proactive and able to work under minimal supervision while exercising diplomacy, flexibility and assertiveness
- Ability to confront and discuss sensitive issues with respect and able to uphold high standards of confidentiality
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In addition, indicate Vacancy Notice No. HRTK/KEN/CP-I/02/20 in the subject line.
Closing: 20th February 2020 5.00pm
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Late applications will not be considered.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer, does not charge candidates for recruitment and dissociates itself from any entity defrauding candidates.