Job Title: HIS Developer
Job Location: Nairobi
Job Industry: NGO Healthcare
- The primary function of this position is to support UCSF with its data needs by developing databases, dashboards, apps and other software to support its projects and programmes.
- The HIS Developer is expected to design databases to meet the needs for specific projects. Some projects will require the developer to design data entry screens for these databases, while other projects will require the developer to import data form existing data sources into a UCSF-managed database, sometimes with data transformations.
- Therefore, an understanding of SQL is critical. Most projects will require the data to be disclosed via dashboards – often with some transformation or analysis of that data before it gets displayed. For example, data that originates from a single health facility may need to be aggregated into a district, provincial or national view on the dashboard. Visualising data on dashboards will be a critical component of the developer.
- Additional software development needs may arise occasionally, such as the development of mobile apps, or interoperability layers between existing systems. An example of that would be an implementation of OpenHIE.
- As an integral part of the UCSF Kenya Office, the Software Developer will be expected to meet with stakeholders, funders and government officials, and draw up requirements based on their needs.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the UCSF Senior Manager for Global Health Informatics Officer, the HIS Developer will work with the UCSF SI team, the Global Programs in-country SI team, and USG and GOK colleagues to:
- Establish needs and requirements for any database or information system
- Determine the appropriate frameworks, tools and technologies to be used for implementing any database or information system, taking context, existing capacity and other guiding principles (e.g. open source, already in use in the health sector) into account
- Based on agreed specifications, design, develop and maintain SQL-based databases, primarily using open source tools such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Based on agreed specifications, develop web-based dashboards and other websites, including web apps that summarise, display, visualise data and make datasets available for download and further analysis
- Develop output reports using popular reporting tools (such as Jasper Reports) that pre-analyse and visualise data, and allow other people to pull those reports online (through a website/dashboard)
- Develop interfaces for interoperability to enable data syncing between databases
- Any other duties assigned related to this job description
- An appropriate degree in computer science, information systems or software engineering with a focus on software development or equivalent degree with five years experience – or at least ten years of demonstrable experience in software development
- At least five years of experience in developing information systems, ideally with a focus on health information systems, in popular languages such as JAVA, PHP, Python, or C#. Open-source languages are highly preferable.
- Demonstrable experience in working with databases and SQL, including writing SQL queries
An understanding of popular tools currently in the health sector such as ODK, DHIS2 and OpenMRS
- Working experience with software development and maintenance tools like Spring, Hibernate, JQuery, Subversion, Git, Restful web services, Agile methodology, Jasper server, Android SDK
Experience with one or more of the following are considered advantages:
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Working in the health sector
To apply, send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com before Friday 25th January 2018.
Clearly indicate the position applied for and the minimum salary expectation on the subject line.
NB: Flexi Personnel does not charge candidates for job placement