Job Vacancy Human Resources Internat World Food Programme Kenya Jan 2019
Career vacancy Human Resources Intern in Nairobi Kenya 2019
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
This vacancy is open to both male and female applicants.
Qualified female applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Regional Bureau provides strategic guidance, policy and technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in nine countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda.
We are currently seeking to fill the position of a Human Resources Intern based in the Human Resources Unit of the Regional Bureau Nairobi.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled at University and having completed at least two years of undergraduate studies; or have recently graduated from an undergraduate or graduate programme (within the last six months) from a University preferably in Human Resources, International Relations , Business Administration, Computer Science, or other related fields. Having attended classes in the past 12 months;
- Alternatively, currently enrolled in a graduate programme (for example, Master degree) from a recognised University and have attended classes in the past 12 months preferably in Human Resources, International Relations , Business Administration, Computer Science, or other related fields.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is a must; knowledge of a second UN language, preferably French, would be an asset.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of the Regional HR Officer, the Intern will be responsible for the following duties:
- Support the design and implementation of HR strategy initiatives focused on solving staffing needs;
- Assist in implementing employee engagement initiatives;
- Support in designing and implementing employer brand recognition initiatives;
- Support in leveraging technical abilities to automate tasks and improve HR processes;
- Assist with overall administrative functions for all modules of HR Systems (Payroll, Benefits, Appointments, Separations, Compliance, HR data etc.);
- Monitor contract expiry dates in the system and take appropriate actions;
- Help maintain data integrity in systems by running queries, analyzing data and initiate corrective actions when necessary;
- Review Personnel Action Forms (PAF) and other Service Requests to ensure proper data entry functions;
- Compile and maintain payroll data, reconcile errors and update payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering relevant data including overtime;
- Post job opportunities to online job posting sites, social media and other online platforms resources;
- Assist in the recruitment of national/local staff in the National Officer and General Services categories;
- Provide support of new hire on-boarding process and employee orientation;
- Support in evaluating, developing, and recommending improvements in procedures. Participate in discussions on new/revised procedures and practices; interpret and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations on follow up actions;
- Perform other related duties as may be required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in improving and identifying issues in processes; in suggesting user focused improvements; and in navigating/influencing cross-functional teams to drive these changes
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Solid time management and multi-tasking skills;
- High level of creativity, perseverance and openness to change
- Excellent customer service skills and a welcoming and helpful attitude;
- Genuine excitement and passion for leading HR strategy initiatives and enhancing employee experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- Depending on the duty station of assignment, WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education;
The internship has a maximum duration of 8 (eight) months and offers college students and graduates the opportunity to combine work experience and professional development with formal education. The WFP Internship programme is designed to prepare highly talented and motivated individuals for future careers with the WFP.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
19 JANUARY 2019
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
How to Apply