Programme Director Somalia & Kenya – Kenya
Job Location: Nairobi
Ref. No.: 2122874795
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC has been present in the Horn of Africa region since 2004. Operations in the region began in Somaliland in 2004, expanded to Puntland in 2006, South Central in Somalia and Kenya in 2007. Since 2011, four more programmes have been established in the region: Ethiopia, Yemen, Djibouti and South Sudan.
The Programme Director Reports to the Deputy Regional Director/Country Director Kenya.
- Development and execution of Core Competencies strategies
- Responsible for programme development, coordination, technical quality and synergies
- Identification and assessment of new programme opportunities
- Evaluation, review and quality control of ongoing and completed programmes
- Country level emergency response
- Ensure donor compliance and adherence to NRC policies
- Training and development of programme staff
- Deputy CD when relevant
- Function as the Head of the internal Programme Development Unit (PDU) which is responsible for programme quality and development, follow-up of activities, M&E activities and standardization of core competencies throughout the programme.
- That the staff in the PDU are managed and effectively utilized to support the development of the Horn Programme
- Contribute actively in strategic planning processes, including the development of regional programme strategies
- Contribute to the analysis of the political and humanitarian context in the Horn.
- Ensure quality implementation of programme/projects within specified time frames
- Quality control of proposals, budgets and reports to donors
- Support the Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director with resource mobilization, including donor contact
- Ensuring a conscious programme approach in line with the “do-no-harm” principles
- Keeping the Regional Director/Deputy Regional Director/Country Directors and Regional Management Team informed about all programmatic issues of relevance to the overall management and coordination of the country programme.
- Ensuring quality monitoring and documentation of programme/project activities
- Preparation and quality control of required reports to the Deputy Regional Director, NRC HQ (incl. monthly, quarterly and annual programme reports) and donors.
- Strengthens the common NRC identity amongst staff by encouraging, planning for and facilitating relevant exchange between project staff across the programme (physical exchanges, info sharing, etc.)
- Ensuring optimal use of human resources in the programme, incl. promotion of team work and team spirit, and securing adequate training of staff
- Developing and monitoring the annual calendar of deadlines for reporting on projects/submission of project proposals covering the country programme and communicates these to field staff.
- Regular project follow ups in all geographical areas where the programme is implemented
- Minimum 4 years experience from working as a Senior Manager/Programme Director in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Core competency expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
The following competencies are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
- Strategic thinking
- Initiating action and change
Email and paper applications will not be considered
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline for application: 03.04.2014