County Coordinator for the Kenya-Finland Bilateral GBV Programme, Bungoma (National Position) 2022
Career Kenya: County Coordinator for the Kenya-Finland Bilateral GBV Programme, Bungoma (National Position) 2022
Employment vacancy : Today Recruitment Kenya
About the Programme :
The Strengthening Prevention and Response to GBV Programme implemented by the State Department for Gender, and the County Governments of Bungoma, Kilifi, and Samburu, are seeking County
Coordinators who will support the government’s efforts toward a
well-coordinated, well-resourced, and sustainable multi-sectoral
approach in gender-based violence prevention and response. The
County Coordinators will thus ensure smooth implementation of the
programme activities in the targeted counties and ensure that all
relevant partners are engaged in the programme implementation. They will
also act as contact point for the programme management in the targeted
Duty Station: Bungoma County (Preference will be given to applicants from Bungoma and/or extensive ties or experience working in Bungoma County.)
About the role:
The County Coordinator supports the Government of Kenya’
efforts toward a well-coordinated, well-resourced, and sustainable
multi-sectoral approach in gender-based violence (GBV) prevention and
response in Bungoma. The County Coordinator will ensure smooth
implementation of the programme activities in the targeted counties and
ensure that all relevant partners are engaged. They also act as contact
point for the programme management in the targeted counties. The County
Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the programme is aligned
with county needs, plans and strategies. S/he will support the County
Government to ensure that the Programme activities are implemented
according to the annual work plans, and in accordance with the
government’s efforts to develop a preventive, supportive, and
transformative environment for the elimination of GBV. S/he will
coordinate the programme activities in their assigned county – including
consultation and coordination for the development, implementation and
monitoring of programme action plans and budgets in the targeted
The County Coordinator works with and supports the State and
County Gender Directors, and County Gender Sector Working Group. This
- Coordinating and/or facilitating capacity strengthening activities, in line with the programme’s Capacity Development Strategy and approved work plan.
- Working within existing structures at county-level to strengthen coordination mechanisms, using data and evidence to measure impact and effectiveness and support adaptive management.
- Providing technical support to enhance governance and coordination for greater accountability and transparency in planning, delivering, and monitoring of GBV prevention and response services.
Building synergies with other programmes and partners
to harmonize approaches, promote learning, increase cost effectiveness,
and support gender-responsive spending. This includes supporting
communication and cooperation efforts at county level.
The County Coordinator is thus expected to:
- Support the programme stakeholders in the county on the
implementation of the approved work plan – ensuring interventions are of
high technical quality, whilst ensuring alignment with government and
donor policies & standards, and international best practices.
- Assist in preparing quarterly and annual work plans, reports, and budgets.
- Support the programme’s financial management at the county level,
following the highest ethical standards of transparency, financial
accountability, and integrity in all engagements with the programme.
- Monitor programme’s progress, risks and achievement of results,
proactively identifying issues and offering solutions to address
- Participate in the Programme Management Team (PMT) meetings either in person or virtually.
- Seek opportunities for inclusion of traditionally disadvantaged
groups, especially people with disabilities, and emphasize a
human-rights based approach in all interventions.
- Undertake any other relevant responsibilities and tasks assigned by the Programme Management.
The County Coordinators reports to the Programme Director and Chief
Technical Advisor on all aspects related to the programme
Duration of the assignment: Two (2) years, with the possibility of an extension.
- Minimum of Bachelors’ Degree– ideally social work, community development, public health, or social sciences.
- Must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of inter-governmental
relations and ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholder
- At least 5 years’ work experience in community development to address the needs of the most vulnerable groups/populations.
- Knowledge of the local culture, traditions, and norms in the
respective County, together with exemplary interpersonal skills to
engage key actors – including elders, cultural and religious leaders,
and other disadvantaged groups.
- Experience in working with GBV prevention and response – using a
survivor-centered, human-rights based approach to support access to
- Experience in planning and implementing capacity strengthening
activities – proven ability to use a variety of methods to engage,
inspire, and empower frontline workers to identify and implement key
- Outstanding communication skills – oral and written.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS excel, Outlook.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili, knowledge of other local languages spoken in the County is considered ideal.
- This role requires working full time, employees may be required to share a workspace.
- Some travel within Kenya as needed up to 30%
- Equal opportunities for staff development
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications which
include a detailed CV, cover letter and contacts of 3 references as one
PDF document via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 28th September 2022. Subject Line: County Coordinator, Bungoma (Note:
In your cover letter, please specify your connection to Bungoma and
highlight relevant skills, experience, and languages. Please do not
include certificates/testimonials at this time). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NIRAS Africa Limited is an equal opportunity employer.