Job Openings at Plan International
Career Kenya: Job Openings at Plan International
Employment vacancy : Today Recruitment Kenya
We are recruiting for a Head of Organisational Performance: Planning, Insights & Reporting to join our Delivery, Performance and Accountability team, partnering with leadership across the organisation.
You will play a key role towards further progress of our strategic ambition to advance children’s rights and equality for girls, bringing together key insights to inform Plan International’s global five-year strategy implementation, providing organisational planning and performance frameworks and standards and driving organisational solutions across Plan International.
Key accountabilities will include;
- Developing and implementing global process frameworks (guidance, standard, tools, templates, roles/ responsibilities, oversight, governance, etc.) for business planning, performance and reporting across Plan International.
- Ensuring key performance indicators and relevant metrics and targets are set and agreed with clear accountabilities and ownership
- Lead on analysis of performance and results against performance metrics, drawing out conclusions and recommendations to facilitate organisational wide views and decision making
- Work with the Executive Directors and their senior team to ensure that both the content and the spirit of the global strategy and annual plans are being implemented effectively and meeting agreed performance metrics. In particular;
- Working with the Director of Organisational Effectiveness to prioritise actions and solutions. This may involve leading independently or working effectively with global operational and functional leaders on key initiatives to respond to Country Office needs.
- Partnering with Executive Directors to provide timely information on performance, issues, challenges and opportunities. Setting accountability plans in agreement with accountable business areas and monitoring and reporting progress
- Resourcing initiatives and putting in place a system to support demand and supply of short term Disaster Risk Management and other technical and functional resources to support the needs of Country Offices to deliver on their ambition
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. Plan International has committed to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work and as such, Plan International Kenya (PIK) needs bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to contribute to the global target of 100 million girls.
Working under the overall direction of the Head of Business Development the Senior Business Development (BD) Coordinator will play a critical role in the development and realization of an ambitious business development country strategy. The role will support the BDM in market research, identification of emerging trends as well as coordinating specific end to end bid development, which may include but not be limited to synthesis of the opportunity, partner identification and managing of assigned proposal development teams and with a view to leading collaborative teams that promote winning proposals. Under the direction of the Head of Business Development, the incumbent will support the identification of new business development and identify new funding opportunities and ensure appropriate tracking of such bids in line with Plan Kenya systems and standards and oversight for business development end to end business processes for bids as assigned.
The position requires the incumbent to have strong experience in partnership building as well as private sector engagement, undertake a wide range of assignments that compete for time and resources, think strategically and drive innovations as needed. The role involves a high degree of problem solving for project contexts and works with project teams to design to deliver results. The position requires an individual with the capability to work with a diverse range of individuals of different cultural contexts. The post holder will demonstrate the ability to problem solve, thinking strategically while introducing innovations as needed to meet the demands of a dynamic and sometimes unpredictable operating environment.
Accountabilities and Main work activities
Support in the development of opportunities such as proposals, concepts to donors (including institutional, corporate, multilateral, and, foundations, etc.). (40%)
- Prepare and develop concept notes and other proposal write ups including proposals;
- Monitor, document and highlight new business development to ensure that Plan Kenya is abreast of new opportunities in line with Plan Kenya’s strategic focus;
- Support the effective tracking of opportunities on Plan Kenya corporate business development pipeline tracking tool on Plan’s Grant Management Tracking portal whilst ensuring accurate information on databases
Representation, Partnerships Engagement and Networking (10%)
- Lead in strategic repositioning and build strategic partnerships for new resource mobilization and program development
- Build a network of professional business contacts within Plan’s industry including negotiating partnership teaming arrangements, related budgets and other institutional arrangements with partners;
- As delegated and under the direction of the Head of Business Development and Partnerships, represent Plan Kenya to donors and partners in line with the an agreed upon Country office response plan;
- Attend forums and meetings (including Skype calls) with/or on behalf of the Head of Business Development and Partnerships to represent Plan that will advance its interests to improve its resource base;
- Support to mobilize and setup network meetings between Plan Kenya, its partners, donors and other interested parties.
Project start-up and Contracting (10%)
- Develop Fund Agreement Documents and monitor to ensure contracting is finalized between National Offices (NOs) and Plan Kenya;
- Act as a liaison between Grants Department and Business Development Department to ensure there is a harmonized coordination between the departments especially during proposal development (including developing proposal budgets), contracting and hand over of contracted projects to the Program leadership and project staff;
- As part of hand over processes, support in setting up new project start up workshops with the program team and designated project staff and other Plan International key staff.
Support a high performing team and ensure all relevant departments have the necessary knowledge and skills to acquire and implement sustainable grant funding (30%)
- Identify staff training needs and Work together with the Head of Business Development to identify and coach Plan Kenya staff on grants acquisition to ensure there is a steady pool of staff to support the department in its fundraising efforts.
- Participate in regular team meetings and contribute to the overall smooth operation of the department.
- Support in the development of training materials for staff on Business Development and mentor staff in proposal development as needed;
- Take an active role to develop and keep up to date on trends, issues, and solutions pertaining to Plan’s Areas of Distinctiveness
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) (5%)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures;
- Leads the orientation of programme staff to ensure that they are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
- Ensures that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Other duties (5%)
Any other assignment within the scope of work.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Bachelor’s degree equivalent practical experience, in interdisciplinary areas within human rights, international development and program leadership;
- 5 years of demonstrable and relevant experience in managing multilateral and bilateral donor funded grants/contracts and other fund sources;
- Experience in private sector engagement will be an added advantage;
- Proven experience in proposal writing, concept development, and business cases;
- Understanding of multiple donor policies and procedures particularly ECHO, OFDA, Global Affairs Canada, SIDA, DFID, USAID, EC and UN Agencies;
- Proven ability to develop, drive and support end to end business development processes;
- Proven results-based client/donor relationship management;
- Good understanding of gender equality programs and meaningful child participation;
- Knowledge of development challenges and contexts in Kenya, in particular in child rights, girl’s rights and child protection;
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively and supportively without the need for close supervision;
- Proficient computer skills and use of relevant desktop applications and internal systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Partnership building and ability to build and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with internal colleague, donor contacts and peer organizations
- Analytical and conceptual skills
- Good Interpersonal / Communication skills
- Results orientated
- Good coordination skills and ability to multi-task with ease, adapting to frequently changing priorities;
- Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Good understanding of budgeting as part of bid development;
- Ability to effectively work with others and with minimum supervision
- Working knowledge and understanding of donor priorities and regulations
- Good working experience in one of Plan International’s thematic areas or a support function.
- Supports learning in diverse teams
- Acts with high degree of integrity and professionalism
- Relates to people in a friendly, open manner and engenders trust from other staff
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
- Promotes innovation and learning
- Ability to act as part of multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work with others
- Ability to travel within Kenya and on occasion, out of the country as may be required
- Able to view even distressing situations objectively by leaving personal attitudes and judgmental responses to one side;
- Promotes equality, including gender equality, inclusion and empowerment of young women in Plan’s work and in its work with partners;
- Apply participatory influencing methodologies both internally and externally
- The ability to build collaborative working relationships;
- Uses creativity to challenge the norm and promote innovation and thinks and acts for the wider organization – linking partnership opportunities with the context of the wider organizational strategy;
- Communicates effectively at a high level and with a range of appropriate styles for different audiences;
- Builds capability through knowledge sharing, networking, mentoring, coaching and advocates the importance of knowledge management.