Plant Science Manager Job at DryGro Ltd (150K) 2020
Career Kenya: Plant Science Manager Job at DryGro Ltd (150K) 2020
Employment vacancy : Today Recruitment Kenya
Plant Science Manager at DryGro Ltd
Description: DryGro is an agriculture technology company working to revolutionise the market for animal feed protein. Today, most animal feed protein comes from soybean meal. Most of the world’s soybeans are grown in the US, Brazil, and Argentina. Protein demand is increasing, but the land required to grow soybeans is scarce. What got us through the 20th century won’t get us through the 21st. We need better, more sustainable alternatives.
Founded at Oxford University in 2015, DryGro is developing cutting-edge growing systems to grow a soybean meal replacement crop called Lemna. This technology builds upon recent advancements in vertical farming and horticulture systems, and allows for efficient, reliable production.
The Plant Science Manager runs DryGro’s day-to-day plant science and crop production activities at its production facility near Naivasha in Kenya. These core plant science and crop production activities include conducting agronomic trials and monitoring and maintaining the growth conditions of DryGro’s Lemna.
The Plant Science Manager will manage one or more Research Assistant(s), lead the local administration of R&D facilities, and take an active role in building a strategy for the future of the company. The Plant Science Manager is expected to be an enthusiastic individual, ready to take on the challenges and opportunities that come with working for a startup.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide local leadership for DryGro, especially in managing the local Plant Science Team which will consist of one or more Research Assistant(s)
- Report directly to and work closely with the Head of Plant Science, the line manager for this role
- Conduct experiments at DryGro’s research facilities, including design, set-up, data collection, and basic data analysis
- Monitor and maintain the growing conditions of all Lemna under production
- Manage the local administration of the laboratory, research, and production facilities; including planning and budgeting for planned plant science activities
- Maintain a safe working environment in the laboratory, research, and production facilities
- Serve as the focal point for communication between DryGro’s management and the local Plant Science Team
- Master of Science in agronomy, plant science, plant breeding, agriculture, or related field from a reputable academic institution
- At least 5 years’ biological research experience at an academic institution, agriculture-related business, or government agency
- Technical literacy with Email, Whatsapp, Microsoft Excel and Word
- Fluent verbal and written language skills in Kiswahili and English
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of employees, especially in laboratory or farm management
- An excellent understanding of crop production systems, preferably in hydroponics
- High attention to detail and drive for excellence in quality
- Strong communication skills via a variety of mediums
- Ability to adapt to a variety of cultures
- Highly organized
- Excellent time-management
Benefits: Our team is motivated by the potential to mitigate the impacts of climate change and increase food security around the world. The Plant Science Manager role is core to our operations, playing a significant role in our development and in our ability to impact the world. Within this role, you will have the opportunity to work with an elite team of engineers, strategists and technologists. You will get exposure to a range of fields, and there are plenty of opportunities for skill development.
Job type: Permanent, Full-time position
Salary range: 100k – 150k KES per month
You will be notified by the second week of February if you have been selected for an interview. We will not contact unsuccessful candidates.
Interviews will be held in February.
DryGro does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, creed, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation, in any of our activities or operations.
DryGro takes a zero-tolerance approach to bribery, corruption, and nepotism, and is committed to acting professionally, fairly and with integrity in all its business dealings and relationships, wherever it operates, and implementing and enforcing effective systems to counter bribery, corruption and nepotism.
If you have a disability and require specific arrangements for an interview, please advise us in your application. DryGro is an equal opportunity employer.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: https://apply.workable.com/j/9ADA85641E
Go to www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.