Research Medical Officer – Women’s Health Project 2022
Career Kenya: Research Medical Officer – Women’s Health Project 2022
Employment vacancy : Today Recruitment Kenya
Women’s Health Project
Job Vacancy: Research Medical Officer
Employment Type: Contract
The Women’s Health Project, established in 1993, is a collaborative effort of the University of Nairobi (UoN), the University of Washington (UW), the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Mombasa County and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC), and the US President’s Emergency Program for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
Job Summary: The Research Medical Officer will work as part of a medical team that attends to research participants in a long-term cohort of high-risk women.
He/she will be responsible for overall management and quality control of clinic activities in the project.
These will include performing procedures related to screening, enrolment and treatment of study subjects.
In addition, the Research Medical Officer will assist the Principal Investigator in various project management activities.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervise and perform screening and enrolment of eligible participants
- Diagnose and treat study participants
- Prescription of ARVs and identification of adverse events related to ART
- Avail laboratory results to study participants and treat them accordingly
- Collect specimens, confirm correct labelling of the specimen and supervise transportation of specimens to the laboratory
- Supervise accurate entry of laboratory results in to the study record books
- Supervise data cleaning and correction processes
- Maintain consents and consent audits for ongoing projects
- Supervise and train study staff on study procedures and other relevant topics
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOPs) under supervision of the PI and training staff on the SOPs annually
- Monitor adverse events and report them to the ethical committees as required
- Prepare regulatory submissions to local ethical review committees and international institutional review boards.
- Prepare protocols, case report forms, informed consent forms and other documentation for human subjects ethics review for different studies
- Data analysis and presentation of research progress and results at conferences or scientific meetings
- Participate in writing and reviewing of manuscripts
- Coordinate and lead monthly journal clubs and teaching conferences with collaborating groups in the region
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned by the Principal Investigator
Qualifications / Skills / Experience
- Medical degree from a recognized institution (MBChB or equivalent)
- Must have completed one (1) year internship.
- Registered with the Kenya Medical Pharmacists and Dentists’ Board with a valid licence
- Computer literacy skills with MS Office software. Knowledge of statistical software such as SPSS or Stata will be an added advantage.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Enthusiastic and hardworking Medical Officers who are interested in exploring a research career are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the specified requirements should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Letter of Application
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae with daytime telephone number and e-mail address
- Copies of Academic and professional Certificates and Transcripts
- Pay slip and/or current remuneration if applicable
- Other testimonials
The email subject should read “Research Medical Officer”
Closing date for applications is Friday, 20th May 2022, 5:00 PM EAT.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.