Tdh Child Protection Senior Officer Job in Kenya 2022
Career Kenya: Tdh Child Protection Senior Officer Job in Kenya 2022
Employment vacancy : Today Recruitment Kenya
Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Job Vacancy: Child Protection Senior Officer (Kakuma)
Functionally reports to: Project Manager
Technical supervision: Head of Programs
Number of subordinate employees:
Context: Tdh has been working in Dadaab within the socio-ecology model of child protection system with a strong emphasis on children safety and well-being.
Case management remains a central intervention to ensure children exposed to at-risk environments are identified/protected, and those who experience abuse, neglect, exploitation and violence receive immediate life-saving services in line with their needs.
Tailor-made mental health and psychosocial services are provided to individual/group of boys and girls together with their parents in a safe place.
Outreach services aiming at community-led advocacy and empowerment increased information and knowledge on child protection issues.
Revitalizing community intergenerational dialogues promoted open engagement on delicate social issues and possible reversal of some retrogressive practices.
General description of the position: The Child Protection Senior Officer is responsible for providing technical support to Tdh teams in Kakuma and ensure improved programming.
He/she support program team in Kakuma in ensuring the scaling up of methodologies in the implementation of project activities.
He/she will also take lead in the development of tools that will guide the implementers provide quality interventions.
He/she will ensure that protection principles are applied to Tdh operations, and that an inclusive, dignified and safe assistance is provided to affected populations.
The Child Protection Senior Officer will ensure that Tdh and global standards and guidelines are respected and in place and will ensure the centrality of protection to all Tdh activities.
- Provide technical support during BID panels when required.
- Ensure that relevant and appropriate child protection services are accessible for children accommodated in the protective areas across the three camps in camps.
- Ensure that protective areas in Kakuma and Kalobeyei refugee complex are child friendly and the best interest of the child is respected and promoted.
- Support in the development, strengthening and review of cash-based approaches, and Standard operating procedures (SOPs) based on existing guidance and standards for the Kakuma Operation to efficiently.
- He/she will support the project managers and MEAL team in ensuring the right methodologies are being applied during the project implementation cycle. This includes support in the you create sports for protection, cash program and other innovative interventions targeting vulnerable children and their families
- Ensure that MHPSS approach is mainstream in all case management interventions.
- Ensure that Tdh guidelines and tools are applied.
- Ensure coordination between case management, advocacy and empowerment and Psychosocial departments and interdepartmental referrals are in place.
- Conduct regular protection monitoring and generate evidence in protection trends in collaboration with M&E department.
- Support regular monitoring system of activities and organize evaluation process for lessons learned exercise.
- Work closely with Projects Managers, Program Assistant and Head of Programs to monitor child protection needs and make program evidence-based adjustments.
- Work closely with safeguarding focal point to ensure that safeguarding risks are identified and monitored and support the well-functioning of the safeguarding mechanism.
- Support MEAL department in the implementation of MEAL activities ensuring inclusiveness and child friendly process.
- Ensure accountability is mainstreamed in Tdh activities and mechanisms are accessible, known and operational for affected populations.
- Support the project managers in preparation of quality reports that respond to the intent
of the projects.
- Promote, and ensure that all project activities are in line with protection principles and standards.
- Ensure that delivered protection services are consistent with and aligned with the Kenyan legislation and system (including mandates, roles and responsibilities of statutory judicial, law enforcement, social and educational agencies) and adhere to relevant inter-agency standardized operating procedures and tools (CPMS, Sphere, CHS, CM guidance)
- Ensure appropriate information management protocol is in place, particularly in terms of confidentiality of data (including data base)
- Establish regular exchanges with psychosocial, socioeconomic empowerment and case management teams to ensure that children and adolescents in need of protection are timely identified and adequately supported.
- Support Project Managers during the preparation of reports in ensuring protection analyses, trends and evidence are included and well communicated to external audiences.
- Identify and propose trainings for Kakuma staff related to protection principles and best practices.
Human resources support
- Provide direction, leadership and coaching to staff members on technical aspects.
Coordination and representation
- Liaise with all relevant statutory and voluntary agencies such as Children Officer, DRS, UNHCR.
- Seek synergies with other departments of Tdh to ensure implementation of standardized activities
- Participate in forum and meetings at location or regional level and liaise with humanitarian actors, authorities and other sector to disseminate information, best practices, lessons learned, etc.
- Strengthen collaboration and coordination between Tdh and other protection partners by organizing regular quarterly coordination meetings.
- Develop a network to facilitate the project acceptance and stakeholder’s contribution and ownership
- Agree to comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding standards are upheld
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures
- The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the person will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the position. The job description should be regularly reviewed to ensure it is an accurate representation of the position.
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and
Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct, Whistle Blowing Policy
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- Professional University degree in social work, psychology, sociology and any other relevant Social Sciences; A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience working with vulnerable young populations and/or asylum seekers in need of protection.
- At least 3 years technical expertise in protection mainstreaming and child protection programming.
- Good IT knowledge (Microsoft Office, Internet);
- Previous experience with Tdh or another child protection organization is desirable.
- Knowledge of key protection issues in the asylum seekers/refugee population and best practices.
- Knowledge of protection system in Kenya.
- Required qualities: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, organized, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of Turkana language is an added advantage.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their applications letter and detailed CVs to KEN.email@example.com
Candidates are required to indicate the position title and location on the subject line of the email when applying.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Closing date for the application of this position is 16th August 2022.